Unison Flatter than each Individual string?

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 23:16:00 -0400

At 12:07 AM -0500 8/20/02, Richard Moody wrote:
>>  As far as Ric's comment on why wasn't this talked about 100 yrs.
>ago, well
>>  according to Bill Garlick it was. Which is why places like the
>Bosendorfer
>>  factory taught the tuners to only with a single rubber mute. It
>yielded
>>  better results.
>>  Tom Servinsky, RPT
>
>Sorry I should have said "published".   However first hand info
>about how they tune in factories is a pet research project, so if
>more information about that is available I am all
>       ---ric

It's not unusual for a tuner to instinctively develop a way of
correcting if not anticipating this motion, and not be consciously
aware of it. I tune the top half of the piano with a single mute.  My
octave tuning didn't clean up until I learned pitch shimming, and
this technique was an absolute requirement for single mute tuning.

I can sit on a bench between two keyboards  and given clean unisons
on a given note, play both notes, listen for the motion, and correct
it by transferring one measurement. But it never occurred to me that
the divergence I was reading between the just tuned three string
unison and its test note, was the by-product of coupling three
strings into a unison. I always assumed that it was the response to
changes in pressure on a flexible board, matter how tiny those
changes.

At 10:21 PM -0400 8/21/02, Tom Servinsky wrote:
>When you realize that you cannot go further on in the tuning until
>the unison is
>absolutely clean you pay more attention to those pesky details.

It gets better. You are forced to squeeze the last drop of motion out
of your unisons, because any trace of motion left in the unisons will
immediately cloud the intervals. If you can't hear the intervals,
what are you going to do? In short you get very good at unisons.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"There's a difference between 'involved' and 'committed.' When
providing ham and eggs for breakfast, the hen is involved. The pig is
committed."
     ...........(Milo Sturgis in Jonathan Kellerman's novel "Self-Defense")