Piano factoids

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 23:28:03 -0400

At 9:42 PM -0500 8/21/02, Alan R. Barnard wrote:
>Here's one, maybe:
>
>The principle building materials for the Wright Bros. first successful
>airplane were: wood, canvas, and piano wire.

  My Webster's definition of the suffix "...oid" is "something
resembling a specified object". A factoid is something which
resembles a fact but actually is something other. Factoids breed in
the media, where they are passed about readily because they seem so
clearly (without checking) to be be facts.

I'm sure that the principle building materials were wood, canvas and
piano wire, but the piece of information really a factoid?

I apologize for this outburst, but I had a fourth grade teacher who
drilled me severely. <g>

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

".......true more in general than specifically"
     ...........Lenny Bruce, spoofing a radio discussion of the Hebrew
roots of Calypso music