Tunebidextrous part 2

Dave Bunch pdtek@mchsi.com
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 22:59:15 -0500

Hello all,

About a year ago I wrote to the list asking for experiences with =
changing hands for tuning. This was a subject of great interest to me =
since I was having increasing problems with tendonitis type symptoms =
with my tuning (left) elbow. After seeing several doctors, an =
orthopedist told me that my pain was due to a tendon that was popping =
out of the groove in the bone when I bent my elbow. Apparantly it was an =
odd enough condition that he had to make up a name for it to put on my =
chart.

So, in an effort to ease the stress on my elbow, I began to learn lever =
technique all over again with my right arm. Since grands didn't feel as =
awkward to tune right handed as did verticals, I started doing grands =
with the right and kept doing verticals with the left. It was slow going =
at first and very frustrating since I had high expectations for speed =
and results. I was surprised, however, that after several months I had =
better technique on grands using my right arm than I used to have with =
my left. I attributed this to two things.

First, the standard type extension lever that I still use for verticals =
did not feel right on grands with the other arm. I bought one of Joe =
Goss's unique levers with the balloon shaped handle on the end. It feels =
great and I sense greater control with it. Also, the 1 to 2:00 position =
that feels more natural with the right hand seems to be more efficient =
for working the string through the friction points than did the 10 to =
11:00 position I used left handed, since the string winds around the pin =
on the right side. For this same reason, the left hand still seems to =
work best for verticals. The best part is that I have now distributed =
the stresses of tuning over both sides of my body which has reduced the =
problems I had been having.

Anyway, thanks to all who gave their input the first time around and to =
Joe Goss for his great lever and his patience with me when I wanted to =
try a different shaft (Yes, the hex is the best)

Dave Bunch