Unison Flatter than each Individual string?

Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:57:05 +0200

David Ilvedson wrote:

> I would imagine tuning with a tuning fork/ear and tuning unisons as you go while setting the temperment would be a quite challenge mainly because you would have to retune 3 strings when making the inevitable adjustments.  Also If those unisons aren't solid they will affect what you are hearing with your aural checks.  Tuning with a ETD/ear and tuning unisons as you set the temperment is no problem what so ever, even though you still have to retune 3 strings when making changes.  Why, because you're letting the machine do the roughing of the temperment and using you ear and the machine to make fine adjustments when they count.  The advantage I really like is when investigating a aural problem.  The ETD can quickly find the note(s) that have drifted with out wasting time and more importantly give you info about how the piano is reacting to the tuning.  I always go back over an area I've already tuned and with ETD and may well find it needs a wholesale slight adjustment because, !
> for instance, every note has drifted up in reaction to the tuning.  This is hard for the ear to decern unaided as many of the aural checks are still in the ballpark.  For the life of me I can't understand why good aural tuners are not taking advantage of a fabulous tuning tool, the ETD.  You don't have to leave you ears at home when you use one...

I'd say you make the best use of the ETD  possible in this fashion David. Combining both ear and ETD as you describe above yeilds not only really good tunings, but wakes up your ears and mind to a host of things going on that perhaps are otherwise too easy to overlook. You know me well enough by now to understand I am a confirmed ETD skeptic. But that is because I see how easy (seductive ??) it is to just follow the dancing dial, and because they in the end do not listen to beats. They listen to one single partial at a time. (Verituner excepted).  That being said I think its probably just as important to underline their value, and that is at its highest when used as you suggest.  None of us should underestimate the power and accuracy of the ETD as a tuning/learning aid, and neither should anyone understimate the significance of the fact that they do not hear beats.

> Conrad, please overnight me the usual...
>
> David I.

Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.
UiB, Bergen, Norway