Unison Flatter than each Individual string?

Thu, 22 Aug 2002 10:34:07 +0200

David Ilvedson wrote:

> Ron,
>
> >>Is this not archaic?  With a ETD you tune the note until the
> >>lights/pattern stops and you have and absolute A440 or whatever pitch you
> >>want in a few moments.  Is this ETD tuned note any less of a tuned
> >>note?  I got to feel there's a lot of ego involved in tuning aurally with
> >>a tuning fork...that and masochism...
> >>
> >>David I.

Or maybe its just that in the end music is more a matter in the spirit of the following quote:

"But, being still of opinion, in spite of all I have read and
heard, that mathematical speculations cannot be of any practical
use in directing the tuning-hammer (a mere mechanical operation,
guided by the ear, as the brush of the painter is by the eye)"
James Broadwood 1811

And less a matter of exacting frequencies. Even you say that you must use the Ear in conjunction with the ETD
to in the end arrive at the best result.

Archaic ? perhaps... tho the negative conotation causes me just a bit of an not fully acceptant itch.

Music, (and tuning is music, not a side to music) is creative. ETD's can help in that creative endeavour, but
they just as easily (if not more) be used to kill it.

CONRAD !!!... grin.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.