Pitch Raises ... Multiple Passes?

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 19:01:28 -0700

    Alan, I didn't know you spoke Tibetan..... Yabut to you too.=20

    Dr. Al recommends 20% in the bass, I tried it, and it really works =
for me. He is published as saying he recommends 33% percent in the =
treble. I tried it on a whole bunch of pianos and piano styles and =
sizes, and it has always left the treble too sharp. Notice, I didn't say =
too sharp for my own personal taste,  but too sharp according to his own =
machine.=20
    All I can tell you, is everything I try to put out here on this list =
are things that I definitely have given great thought to, and done a lot =
of research and experimentation on. I don't know anywhere near as much =
about soundboards and piano construction as people like Del and Ron =
Nossaman, I don't know as much about action geometry as Roger and many =
others on this list,( although I do know a whole lot about actions and =
regulating them.) But one thing I'm sure of is how to take a piano and =
bring it up from "horrible" to a concert level tuning in the shortest =
amount of time. I have to know how to do it, I'm one of the people in =
the sixth largest city in the USA who is the one up there that's given a =
little over a half hour to get the piano ready after it's sat under =
blowing air conditioning for four hours. I have to know how to do it, =
and what works, and what doesn't.
    Whew! Glad I got that one off my chest, I had to do just that in =
twenty minutes last night at a concert here. Show up at 5:00, hoping to =
get in early. The bands running late, and they do a sound check and =
generally goof off up there as long as possible, and I finally get less =
than 1/2 hour to put my "sweetest tuning" quote ( from the keyboardist) =
on it. Meanwhile, the stagehands are yelling "point it left, no too =
far,, the other way,, no I mean your OTHER LEFT)  you get the idea. =
Sorry about the rant, but I really do know what I'm talking about, =
believe it or don't.=20

    And in parting,,,, Batwa.  <G>
  ----- Original Message -----=20