Valuation

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 21:20:58 -0400

In a message dated Sat, 24 Aug 2002 11:42:24 AM Eastern Standard Time, pmc333@earthlink.net writes:

> Gentlemen/Ladies:
>    I would like some help with making a value estimate.  The piano is a
> J&C Fischer,  Serial # 15260 (1926) and has an Ampico reproducer on
> board.  The player works, but could use a little alignment.  I've never
> seen such a plumbing arrangement under a piano before.  A motor the size
> of a washing machine motor drives a belt and pulley maybe 14" in
> diameter!
>    Anyway, the piano itself is in fair condition.  Bridges and
> soundboard look good, no cracks.  Has a good singing tone throughout.
> Was re-whatevered in 1978 with new keytops.  I don't know if it was
> restrung, but the strings look crusty.  Bass is ok, little tubby but
> sounds good anyway.  Hammers are extremely hard, like rocks.  Needs some
> regulation, little or no aftertouch in places, etc.  Case needs
> refinishing.
>    My boss told me it might be worth $2500. without the player.  I
> don't know anything about the player, how much it might add (subtract?)
> from the value.  Customer wants to know how much to ask for
> it to sell.
> I'd appreciate any comments.  Thank you,
>    Paul McCloud
>    San Diego

Paul, without knowing the actual condition of the piano and the player it is very hard to give an accurate value for the piano.  What size is it, is the case plain and square, are there new parts, what kind of wood and how nice is the finish?  Your boss might be right about the figure except one thing, the piano should be worth at least the same with the player left in it. There is a major slump in the reproducer market right now but there is no telling what the future may bring, removing the player will not raise the value of the piano now and down the road may hurt the value considerably.

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW