May the 4ths be with you

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 00:22:24 -0600

Hi Bill,

Both sizes of files are commonly transferred at winmx. The largest one I
have downloaded was 690 megs. 4.6 megs is usually with the 6 meg limit of
most isp email boxes--so long as you have it cleared out regularly. I agree
that 41.6 megs would "try" most email systems however. The 41.6 meg file
coud also be transfered at icq or at the #pianotech chat line on Starlink.

At 01:24 AM 8/25/02 -0400, you wrote:
>At 11:40 PM -0500 8/24/02, Richard Moody wrote:
>>     I wonder if someone can offer mp3 samples (legally of course)
>>as tests?   ---ric
>  It won't work. The internet isn't ready for it. I have a 4 minute
>music audio file, which is 41.5MB in originl form. As an .mp3, it
>weighs in at a trifling 4.6MB. But that by itself is far too large a
>package to send through the email system. You can of course segment
>the files, and attach the pieces to a series of emails , or just send
>the whole bunch through on one. Actually to someone with a  56K
>modem, the file is so slow to download that there really is no
>convenient way to do this.
>
>Such files (any thing larger than 500K) are best transferred from a
>web page directory. A directory full of .mp3's would be an obvious
>place for roaming copyrght attorneys.
>
>No, the world isn't ready to be tossing "CD-quality" digital audio
>files all over the place.
>
>Bill Ballard RPT
>NH Chapter, P.T.G.
>
>"Out here on the food chain, you either