how many pianos...?

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 05:43:09 -0700 (PDT)

    No, it is not merely marketing "poo-poo"!  Foundry
castings need time to "cure" for strength, as does
wood etc.. I think it is best to take as long as
necessary to do a job right, and not rush anything.
Although Steinway's quality has fluctuated badly over
the years, and their marketing tactics have
occassionally sunk to levels that, say, a MASON
( composers of religious hymns, as well as wonderful
pianos ) would never think of*, I think we ought to
agree that Steinway still makes some of the best.
     And it is really not in their interest to
fine-regulate instruments prior to sale. They will be
going to disparate climates all over the world,
purchased largely by people with "tin-ears" for snob
appeal and status symbols. If they sounded like Winter
spinets, a lot of these buyers would be equally
satisfied!!!!!!!
     As it has been said: "Steinway still makes a good
piano if you work with it for a couple of weeks".
     Fine regulating prior to sale would only drive
the price up, in an already battered piano market.
     The best pianos, "out of the box" that I have
ever played are Schimmels, hands down!  And I prefer
them to Boesendorfers. The tone seems more manageable,
the actions more responsive. Wonderful pianos!
     Gordon Stelter
     * My favorite story of Steinway marketing
"Hi-Jinks" comes from the Chicago world's fair of
1893,where college girls were paid $100 each to rush
the stage and rip at Paderewski's hair and clothing.
     (A Steinway Exclusive Artiste, of course!)