"Square" Dancing

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:52:23 -0500

Lady calls to say she has a beautiful Bauer (Bower?) Square Grand in =
storage in Ohio. Wants a rough estimate to see if it's worth hauling =
here and "fixing up"

Says it needs a new soundboard (I discussed the non-lethal nature of =
minor soundboard cracks and the ability to shim larger ones, if needed, =
for sound or looks)

Says it needs restringing

Says it needs new keys (Meaning ivories, of course, but she is willing =
to replace with simulated ivory or plastic keytops)

If it needs all that, I'm guessing it also needs new hammers, velour =
hinges, damper felts ...=20

I discussed, in general, the history, nature and "value" of squares as =
antiques and as musical instruments.

She isn't looking for a shop quote, just a rough idea to see if it's =
worth moving. She paid $400 to a church for the piano several years ago.

Questions: I know what I told her, but without prejudicing your comments =
by revealing that here, I'm interested in what you'd have advised her.

Also, she said she had a tech look at the piano when she first got it =
and he immediately said: "Oh, you've got a Bauer (Bower?)" and was all =
excited about that. What's the scoop on that trade name???

Thanks, Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO