ET temperament beat ratios

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 02:22:14 -0700

Dr. Coleman, and RicM,
     The commentary I offered about beat rates was intended to be
limited to the theoretical rates, absent the effects of inharmonicity,
perhaps, I should have been clearer on this point.  The effect of
inharmonicity which, I believe, must be analyzed in conjunction with the
demonstrated pitch curve or bias of the ear is a very complicated
subject and  one which I, intentionally, avoided  for the moment and
this  is the reason I did not enter the ongoing discussion on this same
subject.
      I am a believer in the perceptible difference of intervals tuned
more, or less, to harmonic values; that is, tempered to some degree or
the other and this arises from long experience both  as a musician and
as a tuner and, hence,  I do believe in what is referred to as key
color, although I think this is a poor term for the phenomenon.  It
seems to me a better term would be harmonic character or something in
this vein as we are referring to the actual degree of mistuning, that
is,  tempering or the lack of it,  of the intervals in a key, but, this
is, again, a very complicated, time-demanding subject which I will
forego commentary upon at the moment.
     I am interested, though, as I said earlier, in knowing if the
published rates from White are, indeed, so inaccurate as they appear to
have been.
Regards, Robin Hufford