Foundry Castings

Tue, 27 Aug 2002 11:16:29 -0700

And If I haven't created enough confusion yet, I'll toss out another =
one:

Just why do we think gray iron is the best of all possible materials to =
use for piano plates anyway? What is it about gray iron that is so =
special?=20

We say it is extremely rigid -- but it is not. It's brittle. Is this an =
advantage?

We say it has excellent internal damping characteristics -- but is this =
an advantage? Why?

Right off hand I can think of only two characteristics that make it a =
particularly good choice for piano plates: [1] It is easy to machine and =
[2] it is cheap. Neither of these has anything to do with its =
performance in the piano.

Del=20