Foundry Castings

Tue, 27 Aug 2002 23:42:23 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Ilvedson" <ilvey@sbcglobal.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: August 27, 2002 8:06 PM
Subject: Re: Foundry Castings

> Sure, go on...but I don't see anything in your list that has a compelling
property superior to cast iron...do you?

Yes. Steel for one--given proper tooling. As early as the 1970s steel was
becoming a viable competitor both in terms of performance and in cost. It
would require relatively high production and a fairly sophisticated factory
but it could be done. The advantages would be potentially lower cost (in
quantity), greater strength, lower weight and (probably) better acoustical
performance.

There are several iron alloys other than gray iron that have much to
offer--higher strength at lower weight among them. The Currier Strataphonic
String Panel was a brilliant idea miserably executed. There are a variety of
composites could be made to work quite well though their cost is still
somewhat high. I don't know enough about ceramics yet to be able to predict
their viability, but if you can build an engine block out of the stuff....

Del