Foundry Castings

Tue, 27 Aug 2002 23:24:25 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Ilvedson" <ilvey@sbcglobal.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: August 27, 2002 4:05 PM
Subject: Re: Foundry Castings

> I would think that several of the leading manufacturers...Yamaha, for
example
> would have researched this and come the conclusion that cast iron is the
best
> material for job.

Or the most traditional.

> Cost included.

Granted, for low-end verticals and grands, gray cast iron probably is the
best compromise. But when you get up to $50,000 to $100,000+ instruments the
cost of the plate is relatively inconsequential. Surely at that level
performance should be the primary concern.

> The material would have to be easy to machine/grind etc.
> What could take its place?

Steel.
Various composites.
Built-up construction using appropriate metals and/or materials in different
areas.

Del