4 pedals

Tom Dickson td_tuner@hotmail.com
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 00:30:57 +0000

Hi, Folks,

   I floated this "balloon" earlier this week, but I still have not gotten a
totally satisfactory answer.

   A 1905 Bell piano has 4 pedals.  John told me about the third one - a
"rinky-dink" effect for the sound (leather stips go between the strings and
the hammer).  Very much appreciated!

   The 4th pedal moves a stick that is below the hammers and apparently the
shanks hit ( it has thick felt that is in the lengths to affect all shanks).
  My question is:  Should this be regulated so that the hammer impact is
reduced - therefore the volume is much lower, OR should this be regulated so
that the hammers never hit the strings - such that the pianist can practice
fingering, but make no sound?

   I would like to be sure that my reguation of this device is correct.

   Any help would be appreciated!

Sincerely,
Tom Dickson,
Regina, SK, Canada