ETD vs Aural: was Unison Flatter than each Individual string?

Wed, 28 Aug 2002 20:10:45 -0700

As a closing thought to this I wanted to comment that I have used an ETD for
a couple of years now after being a strictly aural tuner for many years.  I
have been using a Verituner which I am very pleased with.  I like to think
that I check the tunings against my ears as I go but, in all honestly, I
don't always.  So this week I thought I would use the machine but really
check all the intervals, beat rates, etc., as I went to see how reliably the
machine came up with a tuning that I would have also found acceptable.  I
tuned a variety of pianos, different sizes.  I went through the coarse mode
first and measured each note, put the machine on fine and tuned using my
aural pattern checking everything as I went.  I found the VT to be pretty
good overall.  But there were definitely places where I made changes to the
calculated tuning.  Most of these alterations were, not surprisingly, around
the tenor bass break.  Some changes were as much as 2.5 cents to get a
smooth progression of thirds.  Other changes were sometimes made to get
contiguous relationships between 3rds.

I consider the VT to be a fairly sophisticated machine in its multiple note
measuring of multiple partials.  Yet the changes that I thought needed to be
made were pretty clear.  Though I am sure that the calculated tuning would
have passed any exam, it is also clear that the tuning was able to be
improved upon.  The point of this being that as nice a tool as ETD's are,
tool is the operative word.  They can easily lull you into a false sense of
security about the level of tuning that can be achieved.  It reminded me
(again) to pay more attention to what I hear than what I see and that there
is often a divide between what works in theory and what works in practice.

David Love