Drilled Through Pin Blocks - Was Tuning Pin Length

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:03:00 -0700

Yes, I was talking about Grand pin blocks. Some of you who haven't even
taken a piano COMPLETELY apart are casting dispersions. I think that's being
rather granular.
The main point I was trying to make was that SEALING the entire pin block
should improve it's ability to repel wild humidity changes and last longer.
As for Uprights "not being drilled all the way through", is utterly stupid.
No they are not drilled all the way through, (although there are some that
are), the point is that they are not finished in any way and are therefore
more susceptible to drawing and letting off moisture more rapidly = failure
of the wood.
Sheesh!
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)