4 pedals

Tom Dickson td_tuner@hotmail.com
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 22:11:19 +0000

Hi, John,

   I'm sorry my description and your view did not click.  There is no way
that this is a practise mute - I'm all too familiar with them, trimmed or
not.

   This piece of wood is on a bit of an eccentric so that when the pedal is
pushed down, the whole piece moves to the left and then forward towards the
hammer shanks, just below the hammers ( maybe an inch or so).  All along the
edge of the wood are 3 deep felt layers about 3/8 inch wide.  Each layer
corresponds to the length of the appropriate set of hammers.  So, I knew
that the hammer shanks had to hit the felt.  The question was are the
hammers supposed to then hit the strings or not.

   Don Rose discussed this a little with me, just today, and I agree with
him that given age and wear factors, it might be best to not regulate this
to do either of the possible functions as the impact at the shank might be
detrimental to several parts of the hammer assembly.

   Anyway, it sounds like you have a clearer picture of the mechanism thanks
to Craig.  Sorry my description didn't do the trick!

   We'll talk again.

Sincerely,
Tom Dickson