Temp. comparisons:

Fri, 30 Aug 2002 09:41:17 +0200

Richard Moody wrote:

> >... it just shakes my preception of things as they are if it is
> true
> > that musicians and tuners alike cannot hear immediately that this
> is far
> > away from ET. Must admit.... am a bit confused right now.
>
> Its no biggie.  My theory is, perhaps some people are more
> sensitive to it than others.  Meantone is not usually heard on
> pianos so yes it should sound different.  Meantone is the one temp
> furtherst from ET.  But practice a piece in it for 10 minutes and
> see if you don't loose "perception" of it.  Stay close to C
> though.  Play some Christmas Carols or folk songs and see if they
> don't sound "sweeter".  The minors sound more minor.  Yes there is
> a lot of character to Meantone.  Meantone by its self means 1/4
> comma producing pure 3rds.  The others get into wider 3rds and
> less of a wolf and towards WTs

I can pretty much buy this Ric.  Tho I have run BB's EBVT on a piano
at the school for almost two years now. Students pretty much dont
notice the difference.... even when I point out a few things to them.
But I hear it right off. In close keys everything is so .... well easy
going... relaxed... almost sleepy depending on the passages, where as
moving outwards things get quite a bit more lively til in the end
there are intervals and chords that are pretty much shouting at you.

What unsettles me is that, while I have lots of music in my background
I have little formal music education, yet I seem to have difficulty
understand why any trained musician doesnt immediately and decidely
react to the change in musical relationships. Ok... I had church choir
from when I was 5, and piano lessons from about the same time til I
got fed up around 15. And my mom was a very good pianist who managed
to get quite far before she married.... but how is that line up with
formal ear training and music theory at University level. Just what is
it they are teaching these people ?

>     The discussions about "not hearing it" are usually WT vs ET.
> Also..... truthfully I cannot hear it on that recording
> because.... my soundcard is on the fritz.

Grin... well that is allowed.

> But I have heard MT a
> lot on my own piano, that is where it is tuned now.   It does give
> the A major Prelude (Chopin )... well....a different
> t.      ---ric

I would imagine it does. Thanks Ric for more interesting reading.

Cheers
RicB

--
Richard Brekne