Hygrometer

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 08:48:41 -0500

>Doesn't anyone use a good hygrometer? Do y'all just stick a board in the
>oven until it is light brown and slightly crisp? Or can you make it pop up
>at the proper time? Maybe one of those little pop-up buttons like on a
>Butterball?
>
>Terry Farrell

How "good" is "good", and how critical is absolute accuracy to your purpose
and process? No two pieces of wood are going to react quite the same to
humidity changes, so your chosen material is every bit as much a detriment
to "accuracy" as a cheap hygrometer. You can buy a decent sling
psychrometer for something in the $80-$100 range and use it as a cross
check and calibration device for your cheapie, for your own information and
peace of mind. You can also use various saturated salts to calibrate. Try
http://www.natmus.dk/cons/tp/satslt/satsalt.htm .

As I said, the most effective way around the need for absolute accuracy is
to build soundboard assemblies that are more tolerant of minor
irregularities. I dry panels down with a little space heater using the
piano as my hot box. The panel lays on top of the rim, the heater goes
underneath, and moving pads go over the top. My little +-2% hygrometer sits
on top of the panel, under the pads. A couple of days later (depending on
the season), when it's showing 30%RH, the panel's ready to work. The
piano's probably a little smaller too, but that doesn't seem to be a
problem. If I was running a high volume operation, I'd have more floor
space and build a dedicated box, but I don't expect the basic system would
be much more sophisticated than what I'm using now except for controlling
the heat source with a humidistat - and not shrinking the piano too, of
course. I'd prefer this, since the panel could "soak" a while longer than a
couple of days and more nearly stabilize, but I haven't noted any problems
from the rather crude and inelegant way I do it now.

But if you must have absolute accuracy, and that costs $40K, then $40K is
what you need to spend.

Ron N