Temp. comparisons:

Fri, 30 Aug 2002 18:47:20 +0200

You are probably right in there with this. But I guess what I was wondering mostly about was what is the real purpose of ear training these days. I mean this probably is another one of those things people have been doing so long no one really knows what the origional reason was.

At the risk of being accused of invoking pre-gregorian spirtualism I would venture to suggest that around 100 years ago an augmented 4th was still being taught as an augmented 4th instead of a demolished 5th.... at least in some parts of the world.

All these intervals actually still have unique definitions yet they are being taught as if one were the other and likewise I'm sure.  Perhaps the whole point of ear training has evolved into something more akin to ET chord recognition ??

RicB.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.