Hygrometer

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 19:14:04 -0400

Ron,
         If I correctly understand what you are doing with your=20
sophisticated :-) setup, you are looking for a change not necessarily a=20
specific number from your meter. Correct? Do you feel that you can=20
adequately state the moisture content of the wood from an instrument=20
designed to measure the air simply because it is against the wood and=20
trapped under a blanket? What would happen to the measurements if you=20
introduced , say, a 6" air pocket around the hygrometer instead of having=20
the blanket on top of the meter? Do you think that the readings would be=20
different? the environment you create with the space heater under the piano=
=20
is not necessarily the same environment above the board . Would you agree?=
=20
If you measured the MC under and over the board they would surely be=20
different, right? Could it be possible that some degree of instability is=20
possible because of this? I know the board is relatively thin but without=20
air circulating around the top could there be potential problems with=20
uneven rates of contraction of wood fibers? Would this cause future=20
problems with cracks or is this all semantics and nothing to worry about.=20
Thanks for your indulgence of my random thoughts!

Greg

Greg Newell
mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net