hide glue

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 02:08:43 -0500

>Is it ok to mix hot hide glue from two different sources

Yes,  Someone told me the lighter ones,  crystals, are better
quality.  If you want the best quality use only the best crystals.
But after it has been mixed up and cooled and then heated up
again,  someone told me it has different characteristics from the
original and even more if it has been cooled and heated up a  3rd
time.  It gets harder and more brittle after each heating which is
good for some applications, like felt to metal but not so good
bonding wood to wood, or so I have been told.
    The book "Tone Building", American Steel and Wire,  the
original one with all  3 conferences has excellent narratives how
to  use glue and how it is used.   ---ric