hide glue

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 12:03:30 -0500

At 01:04 AM 8/31/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Thanks ric, it's just key bushings. I've left my pouporie hide glue pot on
>for a week or so with the glue sealed up in a jar. It looked exactly the
>same 10 days later. I wonder what that does to the glue? The thermostat I
>put on it from a warming plate kept it at 135* even after I let the water in
>the pot dry up. I figured I didn't have to worry about forgetting to turn
>the thing off and burning the house down.
>Keith R

Hi Kieth,
                 We re heat the hide glue quite often when using it for
felt and leather applications.   But always, use freshly mixed glue, for
all wood to wood applications.
Shear strength is not important with felt, we are using it for easy of
removal and low wicking properties.  So no big deal to re heat.
Wood to wood, we are looking for it's strength, and how it looks when
finish is applied to it, as in veneer repairs.  Every thing I have read, as
stated fresh is stronger.
Just my 2 bits worth
Roger