Potential Customers

Mike Kurta mkurta@adelphia.net
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 15:20:20 -0400

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan R. Barnard=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, August 31, 2002 12:26 PM
  Subject: Potential Customers

  I'd like the list to share ideas about this:

  Telephone call: "How much do you charge to tune a piano?"

  1. If it is obvious from the conversation that a pitch raise or other =
work will be needed, do you talk about charges beyond the standard =
tuning?

      I will quote my price right off, and if I hear a long silence, =
I'll then mention that often pianos that havn't been tuned in some times =
need a pitch raise, mentioning that there is no extra charge for this =
service.  (My base price takes into account the occasional PR).  I'll =
also tell the customer I don't charge for mileage, and if I feel its =
necessary, I'll tell them the first service includes a complete =
evaluation of their piano at no additional charge. If any additional =
work is needed, I indicate that I'll be able to tell them what a repair =
will cost when I see what is needed to fix it, and that they will know =
ahead of time the charge for any additional repairs.  If by then they =
havn't committed to an appointment based on my fee, I probably don't =
want them as a customer anyway, as they are only shopping around for a =
cheap price.  I'd rather have a customer become a regular because of the =
quality of my work and a friendly, informative manner than a low price.  =
Price shoppers often have little loyalty and will leave you as quickly =
as they came for a lower figure.

  2. If you have a reeeeally incompetent bozo 'tooner' in the area =
(armed with a tuning hammer and electronic guitar tuner and literally =
does not know the meaning of the terms temperament, tempered tuning, =
inharmonicity, etc.) do you try in any way to steer the caller away from =
that person?

      No, No, No.  I never bad mouth another in the business.  His/her =
work will speak for itself whether good or bad.  Its not professional to =
talk in any but a positive way about a competitor, and if you can't be =
truthfully positive, say nothing.

  3. What "techniques" do you use to try and secure the business?

       A few simple rules apply here.  Be courteous, friendly and =
professional both on the phone and in person.  Take the time to explain =
to the customer (if they show interest) about their piano.  Always be =
truthful and keep your promises, no one likes surprises especially where =
money is concerned.
      Good questions Alan, I'll bet you get a lot of responses to this =
one......
      Mike Kurta