Potential Customers

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 16:47:56 -0500

Terry Farrell asked me, with regard to my Potential Customers post:

"Are you trying to increase your servicing volume?"

The answer is YES. When I ventured into this business (2 1/2 years ago,
Potter Course) I never had a hint that the vast majority of people--at least
in rural Missouri--have no idea, whatsoever, that their piano is out of tune
and/or don't care. Even churches will go for years without a tune!

I can't stand my piano (Geo. Steck little grand) having any sour notes, etc.
I tune it at least quarterly and touch up the odd unison in between. That's
one of the things that led me into the business in the first place.

I know that most people don't listen for the things we listen for in tuning
but sheesh, man, how bad do things have to get before someone even begins to
wonder about that sound?

And, of course, if a tuning is supposed to last a lifetime then nothing
every needs fixing or regulating either--unless it quits, altogether. How
often do you folks get a call for a broken or "sticking" key, find the piano
40 cents off and sour as can be, suggest a tuning, and get this response:

"Oh. Do you think it needs it?"

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

P.S. I am also a classical guitarist, so frequent tuning is natural to
me--like after every piece played and, while practicing, sometimes in the
middle of a piece! Ha. A guitarist's common joke: "I will now play a Chinese
piece called Tiu Ning."