plate warping in 1877 Steinway B?

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 14:16:52 +0100

Hello,

3 inches seems a lot but was slightly less than the warping I had on a
Bosendorfer grand 2.75 a few years ago .
The factory tells me not to worry about , as it did not seem possible
to have a flat laying on this piano.

A 2.11 M piano is of course way less flexible, I just can't tell you
if having some flexing in the frame before stringing add something in
the tone, Steinway's have tension everywhere in them, but I don't know
if they are adjusted laying flat.

May be you  should have noticed it when taking the plate off actually,
I always unscrew the tail screws first to have an idea of what is
there now, as I've find it destabilizing too much to be in your actual
situation.

Possible that the piano have reacted to humidity changes during the 5
months, and is in a slightly different plane now (?)

I remember seeing a little grand in a shop, where the shop owner asked
me to "finish the job" as the pin block have been changed, the plate
installed back, but the strings where to be installed.
While checking down bearing, the string pass at 2.5 cm above the
bridges ! so I could reasonably say the owner that the piano had no
down bearing ! and that he better check with the pin block installer
to finish this open pin block grand.

I guess it should have been possible to trim the block till the plate
fit well at the good height, but really ....

Good luck

Isaac OLEG