Sitting under the piano

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 02:01:37 -0700

Nathan wrote:
>Anyway I enjoy sitting under our piano when someone is playing it - I think
>that the sound is much better there. I expect this is because I cannot hear
>the strings so clearly and the soundboard is providing almost all of the
>sound. The bass response is better, and the SPL clearly higher. I would love
>to sit under someone like E Kissin's piano at a Rachmaninoff concert!

I've sat or laid under grand pianos my entire life, from age 2 or 3.  I
love it.  It's a beautiful sound, a powerful feeling, and singular sonic
environment.

I recommend miking pianos from underneath (plus a couple other positions)
for recording.

I have listened to world-class players rocking a big Steinway that I've
(my shop) has restored and prepared, from underneath the piano, many
times.

I have what I call "piano salons" a couple times a year to let people
hear world-class pianos close-up--and from underneath.  I encourage and
enable it.

Keep on enjoying the mini-concert hall/echo chamber that is your piano.

David Andersen
Malibu, CA