piano at outside wall

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 10:43:33 -0500

"....humidity at 6 degrees C is 5%...."

Yikes! I have my little beefs about Damp-Chaser systems varying a bit from 42%, but they do seem to keep the piano's environment in some suitable range of relative humidity. Geez, what does one say to this? These conditions are worse than those at many landfills - piano would be better off there! I just can't in any way shape or form imagine having any piano exposed to these kind of conditions without a good humidity control system and expect it to work more than a month or so. Perfect or not, time for a DC unit - maybe two - one inside and one under a cover on the back.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Caught" <caute@bigpond.com>
To: <cedel@supernet.com>; "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2002 9:04 AM
Subject: Re: piano at outside wall

Hi Clyde,

Yes.
Piano in Darwin, sun on the wall, outside temp is about 32 degrees C but direct sun on the wall is more like 45 Degrees C.  Tuning pins on a repinned piano are now loose, 5 ribs totally off the soundboard, action totally loose etc. All within 3 months of putting it there. The owner said its too hot to sit there so we thought because the piano has an iron frame it would be OK.
Piano in Alice Springs, temp drops to -4 C, humidity at 6 degrees C is 5%, timber dried out, loose ribs, cracked soundboard, loose pins, glue (animal type) given away and tuning plank has pulled forward.
Piano left in a container in sun for 4 weeks. Enough.

Regards

Tony Caught
Darwin Australia
caute@bigpond.com