piano at outside wall

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 02 Dec 2002 10:30:48 -0600

>  The owner said its too hot to sit there so we thought because the piano
> has an iron frame it would be OK.

He's probably right there. The plate should be just fine. He just won't be
able to keep a working piano around it in those conditions. But I suspect
you've pointed that out to him. He'd be better off with an awning or fence
shading the wall outside than with any sort of barrier that could be put
inside between the wall and piano. Just keeping all that thermal mass out
of the sun would have to help.

>Piano in Alice Springs, temp drops to -4 C, humidity at 6 degrees C is 5%,
>timber dried out, loose ribs, cracked soundboard, loose pins, glue (animal
>type) given away and tuning plank has pulled forward.
>Piano left in a container in sun for 4 weeks. Enough.
>
>Regards
>
>Tony Caught

Looks like a $300 tuning wouldn't come close there.

Ron N