audible resultant from two supersonic frequencies?

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 10:46:20 -0500

Hi again...

<<I have attached a small jpg to this message.  You can see a small =
piece of the waveform of the file I made.  The left part is the 20kHz =
tone, then the 20.5kHz tone is added.  The amplitude modulation you can =
see (which is another way to look at beats), when put into the air, is =
moving the air in a pattern of a 500Hz sine wave - just what one hears.  =
It is my opinion that, even though the two high tones themselves are not =
easily audible in this test, the amplitude modulation of the tone at =
500Hz becomes audible on its own.>>

Amplitude modulation is an entirely different beast.  It looks *similar* =
and has similar properties, with one very critical exception:  Amplitude =
modulation is a nonlinear process that creates heterodyne bands (i.e. =
scattering energy to new frequencies).  Beating from =
destructive/constructive interference is a linear process that does not =
create spectral scattering.  Amplitude modulation is multiplicative, not =
additive.  A classic example of amplitude modulation is Anderson (from =
Jethro Tull) singing into his flute.  Another classic example is =
"ooting," the practice of humming while whistling.  These sounds are =
very "strange," and one can easily hear the spectral scatter.

Peace,
Sarah