rear string lengths

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 09:40:30 +1100

Hi Dale,

As usual, I get around to replying to a topic by the time you've
probably forgotten that you wrote it.

At 10:22 PM -0500 24/11/02, Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:
>Although there are many reasons for the usually generous sustain
>times heard on Mason &Hamlins

Indeed the heavier rim construction and thicker plate webbing (at
least when compared to the slightly built S&S instruments, and the
later offerings from Kawai and Yamaha) would also contribute to
sustaining qualities. I was quite impressed with these aspects of the
M&H B I saw at Reno.

>  all this talk of rear duplexes got my attention the other day as I
>tuned one of my recently bellied Mason A's. All the backscale lenths
>in the plain wire are generous. I found the sustain very good in the
>K- ovtave as is usual for these pianos with decent boards.  I also
>note that the first 9 notes of the first capo section had  tuned
>duplexes corresponding to a 6th partial and the rest of the section
>double octaves. . . .the rear string lengths of the first nine notes
>were quite long. Starting at about 4 inches down to about three then
>back up to longer lengths again.

The ultra short back scales used by some makers would seem to be
effective in reducing sound board panel response (since the short
back-scale lengths would function like a group of small bars, holding
on the bridge - I just imagine them controlling the panel - don't
move).

>Although these segments were fairly well in tune the greater
>attributing factor I believe is the long backscale lengths.

Yes I suspect that it is important also. Although they can to be too
long also, which causes terrible back scale noise problems (the
Yamaha CFs of the mid '70s had high noise trebles which were shockers
in this regard). When we rebuilt a KG6 Kawai (a piano known for its
intrusive back scale noise) in '99, we relocated the hitch pins and
set the bearing blocks to a shorter tuned layout (filling the
original pin holes with car body filler). The new hitches were
located 20 mm (which is a standard figure we use) behind the revised
block locations. The outcome was very pleasing indeed.

>Other contributing factors would be wide cases/board

What do you mean by wide cases/board ?

>  good scales (mostly)

The M&H cross over is somewhat old worldy, complete with
diving-tension-syndrome as the treble bridge approaches the crossover
- like so many other makers, some of whom consider that they are
modern piano manufacturers.

>, good bridge location in the center of the board etc.) (As a side
>noteRecent discussions on Mason a's very short bass backscale
>lengths didn't however in this case render the tone unacceptable by
>any means. Tail thinning helps greatly on these pianos with
>conventional belly's)

Indeed, but if it had a longer back scale it might have been even
more impressive.

>   Finally the question. What are adequate backscale lengths  capable
>of giving  increased freedom/sustain. The lengths in this case are
>much longer than the average stwy. It seems like 3 to five inches on
>any piano(in the capo) would allow more bridge and board freedom.

Agreed, but five inches or 125 mm would be getting towards the longer
length which might be appropriate for the rear duplex - any longer
and there is some risk of intrusive back scale noise.

>   If I removed the duplex on the average stwyL and changed nothing
>but the string lengths.(forget the tuning) what would happen?

You'd probably get some improvement. But I suspect also that the
smallish bridge dimensions could be a likely factor in the less than
impressive sustain of many Steinways. Back in 1990 I re-bridged a
circ. 1925 New York D which had amazing board crown, but the bridges
were shot (a well known Australian piano maker had previously
'rebuilt' this piano by inserting shortened balance rail pins into
the split treble bridge, presumably in an attempt to gain a tighter
fit between the 'bridge pins' and the split bridges - the outcome
seemed to be somewhat less than impressive). Furthermore, I suspect
that this piano might have been one which the belly man built while
he was thinking about lunch, since there was virtually no bearing but
substantial board crown. There we also major disagreement between the
bearing on bass bridge relative to that of the long bridge. Since the
board appeared to be relatively undistorted with age, I could only
conclude that it had been poorly assembled.

So I took the opportunity to rectify the down bearing by building
taller bridges instead of lowering the plate, since already I had
begun to suspect that tall bridges helped sustaining qualities. When
the bearing was finally set this piano ended up with a nearly 40 mm
high treble bridge in the mid section (with an unstrung down bearing
setting of 6 mm - 4 of which typically sinks out during the
stringing). The sustain of this piano is very good. One old timer
local tech (John Rocks), who has - since rest his soul - graduated to
harp tuning, claimed that I'd transformed the piano into a European
style singing piano which had a slightly smaller upper dynamic range.
I agreed. It was an important lesson for me on the importance of
bridge rigidity, since nothing else on the piano was altered (apart
from reshaped capo and duplex bars - which were unhardened since we
only started this practice in '94-95).

>      I'm looking for suggestions and expeience from whomever.

I that while I still feel somewhat unsure about this topic, I have
developed hunches. I feel that the back scale length should mirror
the requirement for the excursions necessary to produce the lowest
harmonic of the adjacent notes. In other words, in the bass where a
significant ' board displacement is required to generate effective
sound pressure level of the fundamental, the board must be at its
most moveable. This doesn't necessarily mean floppy, since we do want
the board to move as a homogenous whole as much as possible. But the
edges or perimeter of the board should be very flexible. As the
frequency of the fundamental frequency increases as we move up the
scale, the sound board should become progressively stiffer. If the
back-scale lengths gradually shorten they will work with the
stiffening sound board panel to help raise the impedance of the board
for the higher notes. But I do not think we should use 30 mm
back-scales unless we are looking for less sound pressure level in
the treble. Of course, this might be a legitimate goal when designing
a small grand for the home environment.

Interestingly, while still on this matter of appropriate sound
pressure level for the environment, the buyer of our piano no. 001
has it housed in a largish music room at his home. This piano
produces so much volume that it sounds somewhat like it is trapped in
a biscuit tin. I suspect that 225 cm is too large for a home
environment piano. So it may be that a suitable design for a 200 cm
grand might incorporate slightly shorter back scale lengths to reduce
the sound pressure level to more acceptable levels for the home.

Just a couple of thoughts from down under.

Best,
Ron O.
--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY