shank length

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 07:45:18 EST

Bill writes:
> He was
>planning on keeping the keyframe and the hammer strikepoint in the
>same place, hoping that if he moved the stack away from the key
>balance, the new lift point on the rep cushion (3mm distal, as you
>say) and the slightly shortened lever arm of the shank would reduce
>the weight of the hammer as felt at the key. It would, but not nearly
>as quickly as moving the knuckle out or the cap line in (towards the
>key balance).

Umm,  I dunno.  Moving the stack AND capstan line distally,(away from the
balance rail/fulcrum), is going to increase the weight at the key, and
greatly increase the movement of the whippen.  ( I know this because I was
always the fat guy on the see-saw)

Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/
<A HREF="http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/399/six_degrees_of_tonality.html">