Octaves Testimonial

Sat, 07 Dec 2002 11:36:45 +0100

Interesting comments Ed. The differeing effects that temperaments, tuning styles,
and stretch yeild are really underestimated IMV. Most tuners and playes dont even
think about this kind of thing directly at all.

In the case of this 12ths tuning, the 3rds and 10ths remain very much the same in
the middle range( a tad faster often depending on inharmonicity of the piano),
from about C5 to F6 they get a bit tense, and yet at the top they are quite a bit
slower then usual octave stretching allows for. This along with the fact that
12ths are all pure give this approach its own unique character.

I concur with your last statement below, and this might help explain why I find
so many young pianist who just dont "get it" when I tune a mild Well variant, but
notice immediatly when I do this 12ths tuning.

In anycase... its really a wide big tuning world we have at our feet if we first
care to do more then just follow one particular recipie.

RicB