Tuning Patterns

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 17:54:35 -0700

    Hi, Corte. That's interesting. I usually tune the piano twice no =
matter what. Unless it's one of our C&A pianos that get tuned all the =
time. (Concert and Artist). If I'm using a machine, the first pass is AO =
to C88, unisons as I go. The second pass I tune from A4 down to the =
bottom, and then A4 up to C88. This on a completely stripped piano. Then =
I tune unisons from the tenor break up to the top, pull out the strip in =
the bass and tune bichord unisons tenor on down, and I'm done. So I =
guess I'm working opposite from you; inside out on the unisons, whereas =
you're tuning outside in. I guess it doesn't matter that much, as long =
as you get the results that you want in the end.=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: SUSAN P SWEARINGEN=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, December 08, 2002 4:28 PM
  Subject: Tuning Patterns

  Forgive me if I'm rehashing a subject that has been discussed before, =
but I've been trying a lot of different tuning patterns on many =
different pianos.  Although I've only been tuning part-time for two =
years now, I seem to keep coming back to the pattern I first learned.  =
Here is what I do.

  1.  Strip mute the entire piano

  2. Tune the temperament (I use a Vrtituner but prefer to do aural =
tuning checks as I go)

  3. Tune octaves down to the tenor/bass break (using aural checks to =
make sure everything sounds ok)

  4. Tune octaves up all the way to C88 (using aural checks to make sure =
everything sounds ok)

  5.  Using the back muting method with a single rubber mute, pull in =
all the unisons from C88 on down to the bass/tenor break.

  6.  Tune down to A0 from the tenor/bass break, pulling in the =
bi-chords as I go along.

  That's it.  I've tried doing unisons as I go but for some reason, I =
seem to get a better tuning overall if I use the above method.

  I curious what some you you seasoned veterans think about this method =
- it's advantages and/or drawbacks. =20

  What patterns have you found to work best?

  Thanks in advance for your responses!

  Corte Swearingen
  Associate Member PTG