Richard Oliver Snelsons Unhappiness

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 07:57:14 -0500

Richard B. wrote:
> I find it just as meaningless to accuse this list of being a
> bunch of lonely heart socialites as I find just about any of
> the other irrational ravings about politics, OT humour, or
> so called piano related issues. Nor would I miss out for a
> minute on all the entertainment I get from reading some of
> our more prolific humourists on this list... Roger, Ron N,
> Carl, and others.

I'll go with that, except for politics.

Richard B. added:
> What an
> unbearably boring bunch we would be if we cant kid around,
> throw a few broadsides at each other, leave the arena for
> short interludes or the rest of it.

Absolutely. I'm there 99%.

Richard B. went on though:
> If we were to accept what apparenty Richards definition of
> garbage is in this, then what should we think of conventions
> where our community behaviour is nearly identical to what we
> find on the list ? We go in and out of pure piano technical
> talk all the time and boy am I gratefull we do.=20

Here is where I gotta depart from ya. Yes, at conventions "We go in and =
out of pure piano technical talk all the time...", but the difference is =
that stuff we go public with is humorous or curious. It is not political =
or religious. Go to a Roger Jolly class. Humor abounds. Its great. What =
Richard Snelson was focusing on is the political and religious stuff =
that gets posted on the list. How he comes across a post that is either =
inflammatory to the right or left and gets his day off on the wrong =
foot. I could not agree more. And yes, we will talk political at the =
conventions. But not often. And only one-on-one, or at most in a very =
small group.

Cute, curious, humorous off-topic stories, yes. Political and/or =
religious? Please NO, not in THIS, piano-related public forum.=20

I also find myself getting quite infuriated that some people can think =
the way I read they do in some of these posts. I want to scream back at =
their outrageously warped views. But I usually don't, because I don't =
want to contribute to all this crud. Do it like we would do at the =
convention - one-on-one in the hallway or bar - email privately. Like =
the cow thing.

Go to your next appointment with the average Mrs. Jones. Is it proper, =
wise, polite, good business or funny to bring up politics or religion in =
a manner that states your position and suggests that other views are =
perhaps not as valid (or worse)? I can't imagine anyone is terribly =
successful if they make a habit out of doing that. I think it would be a =
good thing for all on this list to extend each other the same courtesy =
on this list.

Why don't we post about sex? I like sex. I like to talk about sex. Why =
don't we post about our personal preferences? This subject seems to be =
rather taboo on this list. Why? For some reason, no one seems to want to =
cross that boundary. Why? There are some very conservative views on this =
list. How about homosexuality. There's a pretty hot topic that would be =
fun! Shouldn't we stir up the pot? Yes, we should. I think it would be =
great - at the bar, in the hallway, on a sex-or-whatever related list. =
Not on this piano-related list where it would be sure to hurt and =
infuriate. Expressing personal views about sex, politics and religion on =
this list will only serve to divide participants on this list. I just =
don't see where any good can come of it. Society does indeed have social =
norms and things that are taboo. Some of these are good, and part of =
what make us human. Let's just leave sex, politics and religion on this =
list as being taboo.

But cheap spinet bashing is not taboo. That's OK. Even Steinway bashing =
is fair game (not that I would ever do that though)!

This list is such a good thing. Political and religious posts turn many, =
if not most, of us off. I suppose a few enjoy the exchange. I suspect =
not many. I don't. Save it for the convention hallway. I hate to see =
valuable contributors to this list get discouraged and unsubscribe. It =
is simply everyone's loss. Especially newishbies like me!   :-)

Terry Farrell

 =20
----- Original Message -----=20