digital keyboards

Mon, 9 Dec 2002 09:53:17 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Koval" <drwoodwind@hotmail.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: December 09, 2002 8:02 AM
Subject: re: digital keyboards

> Ok, Ok, yes they sound "nice" over my computer speakers, or any speakers,
> but try them live, with a real piano next to them to check against, and
> there is much more of a difference.  Not a fair test, if you are checking
> recording of a piano against a digital, or sampled piano.  They are all
just
> sounds out of a speaker......
>
> Just me rambing again
>
> Ron Koval

And a good ramble it is.

One of the limitations of the digital keyboard is, and always will be, the
speakers through which the sound is recreated. People (even those who also
have good pianos of their own) seem to apply different criteria when
listening to the digital keyboard. A sound judged as 'good' or 'nice' coming
from the digital keyboard speakers would not at all be acceptable coming
from their own piano.

I've noticed the same disconnect with people listening to even very good
audio systems. The same sound that elicits "Wow, doesn't that piano sound
great" coming from the audio system would be "What's wrong with that piano"
if it were coming from the piano itself.

Del