Everett loose tuning pins

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Mon, 09 Dec 2002 14:25:25 -0500

Friends,

Today I tuned a 1969 Everett studio school piano.  Most of the
bottom-row of tuning pins in the tenor/low treble area felt quite mushy,
as if they were on the verge of not holding at all.  There is no
evidence that anyone attempted to fix this problem in the past.

I think I remember hearing that for Everett pianos of this era some type
of lubricant was used when screwing on the pressure bar and that it
crept along the pinblock woodgrain from the screw hole, causing this
problem.  Am I right about that?  What is the preferred repair?

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT