Brass Rail Replacements/Schaff

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 10:56:09 -0800

I usually do one or two a year. I have found little problem with the
duplicated rails from Schaff. One small problem was the replacement screws
sent with the rail were too long. They were having problems getting the
correct ones. It was brought to Schaff's attention and the next rail was
basically trouble free. Occasionally, the width of the "tabs" will be just
slightly too wide to fit the original butt slots. This is easily remedied
with a fine smooth file. A couple of swipes, per tab, on each side takes
care of it. I've found the replacements are very exacting as to spacing etc.
It's my opinion that they've gotten the refinements taken care of.
As for re-annealing, we have a tech, in Milwaukee, Oregon, that does this. I
personally don't trust this process. However, he has had good luck with it.
This process is contingent on all of the tabs being intact, however.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)