*ON* list: Re: S&S D Duplex <g>

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 15:43:48 -0500

Hi Robin,

OK, at least I'm not the only one to goof up... although your posting "off
list" to the list was probably my fault, indirectly. <g>

> Hello Sarah,
>      I realized that I had misunderstood your description of the situation
with
> your piano - I had been thinking that you were embarking upon a rebuilding
of
> it.

Not a complete rebuild, no.  Most of the work at this time will be
refinishing.  With the exception of the hammers and strings (big exceptions,
I grant you), all of the workings of the piano are pretty good.

I already did a fair amount of detective work with regard to the pairs of
notes sharing common strings, but there are very few uncorrupted wires in
the treble register.

I really appreciate your offer to calculate the appropriate wire diameters,
as do I appreciate the offers made by a couple of other people on this list.
I've already sent scads of measurements to one of the list members who is
helping me to do the rescaling using Pscale.  He plugged the existing
measurements into the program, and the tension and inharmonicity curves look
pretty frightening.  He'll be recomputing and recommending new string
diameters pretty shortly.

Anyway, thanks again to you and to the other folks on this list who have
offered me help and advice.  My Wissner will be the realization of the 23
year dream of someone whose love for the piano far exceeds her financial
resources!

Peace,
Sarah