Humidity Quick Zap

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 08:31:49 -0500

At 1:00 AM -0600 12/14/02, Don wrote:
>So why do *forced* drying methods lead to even looser centers than the
>overnight natural drying then? Something is wrong with the theory of
>"compression set" I fear.

I couldn't tell you. Different remedies for different afflictions?

If anyone else thinks that there's something wrong with the idea of
compression set I'm sure we'll hear from them as well. It works dry
(but not nearly as effectively), as in "bushing caul". My best
explanation is that acetone would work better (and faster) when the
problem is purely one of moisture content in the bushing (and by
extension, the wood).

But I wouldn't know, I've never tried the "freeze-dry" method.
Alc/H2O has always worked in all except the most obscure cases.

>As "rapid" fixes sometimes a heat gun or hair drier by itself will
>work--particularly if some misguided tech has used wd-40. It seems to "burn
>off" the contamination--at least for a while.

Speaking of "burning off the contamination", one solution I've found
found vertigris corrosion (mentioned in the PTJ 15 years ago) is to
de-pin the part, and then cauterize the bushing with a center pin set
in a key bushing iron (read, soldering iron). Repin and the part is
good for years. You have to set the in-line dimmer on the iron low
enough that when you lay the CP on some bushing cloth, it doesn't do
an instant thermo-set of the fibers. So we're talking a low heat. But
enough that when briefly inserted into the bushing, thin wisps of
white smoke emerge. (Similar to the white smoke from the chimney at
the Vatican on Pope election day.)

Once again, different remedies for different afflictions.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Lydia thinks she knows everything, and Lyle thinks he owns the place"
     ...........The outgoing staff technician to the new guy,
concerning the resident artiste/pianist and the Chief Custodian