Humidity Quick Zap

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 23:12:40 -0500

At 10:02 PM -0500 12/14/02, Sarah Fox wrote:
>>  How about the permeability of the fibers? Their ability to absorb any
>>  of the above discussed liquids?
>
>I don't really know.  I suppose if there are any oils originally present in
>the fibers, the alcohol, acetone, or any other organic solvent would wash
>them out, making the fibers a bit more willing to soak up water.  As you
>pointed out, the alcohol is a good wetting agent, breaking surface tension
>and allowing water to follow into somewhat oily fibers.

Thanks for guessing. Seriously that's as much as the rest of us are
doing. Lanolin is there originally, as we all know, there to keep the
fibers from drying out and becoming brittle. David Stanwood has said
that he wood prefer damper felt not to be too white looking, a sign
that that particular processing schedule specified cleaning the
fibers too much. (Quite likely, your acetone wash.)

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

Visualize whilred peas