rear string lengths - APRON

Paul Tizzard ptizzard@mweb.co.za
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 10:34:05 +0200

Hi Del,

If you have the time, I would appreciate a copy.
Thanks.

Paul Tizzard
S. Africa
ptizzard@mweb.co.za

----- Original Message -----
From: "Delwin D Fandrich" <pianobuilders@olynet.com>
To: <oleg-i@wanadoo.fr>; "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, December 06, 2002 10:44 PM
Subject: Re: rear string lengths - APRON

Re: rear string lengthsAh, Isaac, how could you have possibly missed one of my many tirades against the use of bridge cantilevers (a more descriptive word than apron)? I've written about these atrocities numerous times.

There is never a good reason for incorporating these hideous devices into a piano design, large or small. They can always be designed out of the system. It all started with the equally bad notion that the speaking length of A-1 must always be as long as possible -- especially in short pianos.

I've not time just now but I'll look up one of the pieces I've written and email it to you privately along with a drawing that illustrates the stresses these things place on the soundboard.

Del