teflon flange & bushing??

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 10:45:28 -0800

Remember I said the bushing AND the flange.

Terry Peterson

----Original Message Follows----
From: Wimblees@aol.com
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: teflon flange & bushing??
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 11:10:37 EST

pianolover88@hotmail.com writes:

 > I've often wondered, since teflon is uneffected by humidity/temp, why
BOTH
 > the flange AND bushing isn't made from teflon. Just curious.
 >

 > Terry Peterson

Teflon is not effected by humidity, but the wood around it is. That is why
the Teflon bushing didn't last. When the wood shrinks, the Teflon doesn't,
which caused them to click. If we had Teflon pins inside Teflon bushings,
even though the pins would not be effected, the wood would snhrink, and you
get the clock.

The only way to stop all the expansion is to make all the wood parts out of
ABS, including the shanks. But I wonder if an ABS shanks would be flexible
enough to withstand the force of a hammer hitting a string?

Wim