teflon flange & bushing??

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 18:48:43 -0600

>  I might be reluctant to use plastics in a piano that was meant to last a
>long time since I don't believe there is yet a track record for longevity with
>the plastics available now.

Kawai has been torture testing ABS flanges for nearly 30 years. The first
ones installed still test stronger than new wood. I'd guess it was probably
fairly safe by now, since pianos don't last longer than that anyway... right?

>         In regard to the question of teflon flanges with teflon bushings
> - if you're
>making the flange out of teflon why do you even need a bushing?  Just drill or
>ream the hole to the proper size for the pin.  This would seem to speed things
>up in the assembly process.

Teflon is too soft to work as a flange, and when a ham handed field tech
butchered one, the whole flange would have to be replaced - and they'd be
slippery and hard to handle. <G>

>I'm surprised some manufacturer hasn't thought of this already
>(maybe they have and I don't know about it).

They did, but decided against. Didn't you get the call?

>As to the comment that all wood parts would have to be made of ABS (or other
>plastic), why?  Why can't you mix?  Some parts could be plastic and some parts
>wood, as seems appropriate.

You can. It's done, and it seems quite appropriate. Shanks are still wood,
even if the rest of the action is ABS.

>         About the Kawai actions with ABS parts?  I have not seen one of
> these yet.
>What sort of bushings do these use?

Bushing cloth, like wood ones (only less trouble). They're very nice actions.

Ron N