'Tis the Season

SidewaysWell1713@aol.com SidewaysWell1713@aol.com
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 19:54:21 EST

List,

Wow! A new record for me: 32 pianos in one week.  All were tuned twice over
completely except the 3 that were pitch raises (over 50 cents each). 3
vertical actions were removed & replaced, including 1 Acro$onic, the kind
with the giant fallboard and sticker rail that can come apart and create a
hopeless situation.  4 were 70 miles away.  All were tuned in EBVT except 1,
1/7 Comma Meantone (by request), one Marpurg QET (by request) 1, QET of my
own design, 1 Thomas Young (by request) and 1 Vallotti (by suggestion).

I also did various repairs, cleaning, touch up regulation and 1 voicing job.
Some were grands (Steinway, Kawai & Yamaha included), some verticals, some
nice, studios, others consoles and spinets (including Wurlitzer & Betsy
Ross), most in private homes, 6 in schools, 3 in a church, 1 on stage.  All
were left with my personal touch which has become well known and is in high
demand.  The only thing I can do to satisfy this demand is to work extended
hours.

I also made a work-in appointment for next week (on a day that is already
full) for a church which has a Walter Grand that I had recommended they
purchase.  It seems that price had been a consideration and also rumors of
"not doing it 'right' "  (so said the other tuners). But the other 2 tuners
said they had trouble even getting the fine piano into tune.  I asked if
there had ever been any trouble with any work I had done.  The answer was
"No, that's why we're calling you again, we think your work is *worth* the
price.

Needless to say, folks, I have a program for that piano, the very one I used
in 1998 at the Convention.  This program does not contain the theoretical
correction I recently made to the 10 year old EBVT.  It is a work of art that
spoke for itself at that event and shall be used and never changed from the
way it was created a good 5 years ago.  I'll have that job done in 45 minutes
or less, including blowing out the dust which has accumulated since the last
time I was there.

A funny thing happens when I do this.  This is the dark and cold time of
year.  It would seem I'd have less energy but the more I take on, the more
energy I seem to have.  It's those "dog days" of summer when I've only got 4
appointments a day which leave me with an idle mind (which always heads
straight to the Devil's playground) that get me down.

Needless to say this will make for a better year than any previous, I've
never had a year where I earned less than the year before, (even if the
increase was modest) but this year is by far the best.  I finished 2
performances recently where I was a featured soloist and had many
compliments, cards, letters and e-mails about.  I just bought the score for
the Mozart Mass in C minor where there is only a spot in the Quartet in the
Benedictus to look forward to.  But I also got the score for the Carmina
Burana in which my voice professor says I am ready to be the principal
soloist.  It is one of my most favorite of pieces from the 20th Century, both
for the music and the medieval poetry.

This is the kind of business where you can be a true iconoclast and
capitalist.  Go for it!

And have a happy and *prosperous* holiday season, everyone.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin