Soundboardcrown

Tue, 17 Dec 2002 10:44:53 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: December 17, 2002 10:30 AM
Subject: Re: Soundboardcrown

.... I have a reptile environment temperature controller that keeps the temp
real steady at whatever temp I dial in.

You have a what????

> > You can estimate the moisture content of the soundboard panel by
> > monitering the temperature and relative humidity inside the box and
> > comparing those to charts printed up for the purpose. The US Department
of
> > Agriculture has placed the entire book, "Wood Handbook: Wood as an
> > Engineering Material" online.
>
> Is this how you determine the MC of your panels before rib glue-up?

Yes. We monitor the room daily and subtly adjust the temperature as
required. A newly glued up panel stays in there for a week or so to allow
the moisture from the glue to work itself out and stabilize before we rib.

> If anyone wants a copy of Chapter 3 of "Wood Handbook: Wood as an
Engineering Material" (it has the charts in it) I can email a copy to you.
It is in PDF format.

And it's legal. Being a publication of the US Government -- i.e., paid for
with our tax dollars -- it is free of copyright.

Del