Buzzing Caster

fordpiano@earthlink.net fordpiano@earthlink.net
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 10:16:31 -0800

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 07:48:18 -0800 David Love <davidlovepianos@earthlink.net>
wrote:

> Tuned an c 1905 S&S O yesterday and the
> piano is buzzing
> badly at the casters (two of them).  Small
> shifts in position do not
> rectify the matter and I am convinced that it
> is due to freely moving ball
> bearings.

David, I wasn't aware that Steinways had ball bearings in their casters.  I
thought the stem of the caster went into a pressed steel socket in the leg.
Are we talking about the same thing?

> And how easily will the caster
> come out of the socket?

It's not that difficult to prize one out with a large screwdriver (there I
said it - apologies to tool aficionados) but if you do this with the caster
installed in the leg be careful to protect the bottom of the leg so that the
screwdriver doesn't crush it.  Personally, if the caster is in need of this
much attention, I would probably just remove the caster and socket together
and then replace both.

> Will it be necessary to lay the piano on
> its side or could I do this
> by blocking up the piano one leg at a
> time?

You could jack up and support the piano and work one leg at a time.  I would
remove the leg though.  I wouldn't attempt to remove the caster or socket with
the leg on the piano.

> I have never considered
> doing this as a standard rebuilding procedure
> but it might not be a bad
> idea.
>
> David Love

I routinely replace the casters and sockets when I rebuild a piano.  They're
cheap, the new ones look  better, and I like the piano to actually roll when I
push it around.

Phil F

Phillip Ford
Piano Service & Restoration