Soundboard Clamping for Downbearing

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 21:53:08 -0800

I thought that the bridge height was predetermined from the measurements you
took before you tore it apart.
But what do I know. I just got to help glue in a board.
My first. In a S&S D. Sure looks pretty. Can't wait to hear this one. Eat
your heart out Terry
Keith R
----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2002 4:40 PM
Subject: Soundboard Clamping for Downbearing

> One thing I have never been able to clearly picture in my head (or rather,
one of many). If I wish to notch the bridge outside the piano, I need to
temporarily mount bridge to board, set board into case and set plate at
final resting height (on dowels or adjustable bolts, etc.). When I have the
plate in, how do I clamp the board down to the rim securely for determining
final bridge height? At what MC do I have the board for this procedure (I
would assume equilibrated with room RH - maybe 9%)? Looking a step further,
if I then dry the board down prior to installation and then glue the board
to the rim, can I be pretty sure the board will crown right back to the test
height when I measured for bridge height? Just can't get this process
straight in my head where I can see that all will work out.