Soundboard Clamping for Downbearing

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 11:37:44 EST

In a message dated 12/21/2002 4:52:52 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> Subj: Re: Soundboard Clamping for Downbearing
>  Date: 12/21/2002 4:52:52 AM Pacific Standard Time
>  From: <A HREF="mailto:mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com">mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com</A>
>  To: <A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
>  Sent from the Internet
>
>            Terry

                 I left out that I also clamp the board at the belly rail,
spine and am particularly careful to get the upper most treble edge firmly
down on the rim either with clamps or by using the preexisting screws and
holes for the maple trimmed edge that is on most pianos. A small error at
that spot will yield you (0 ) bearing after the boards glued in and you will
gnash your teeth.. Actually gluing the board in locates it at its  true and
final elevation and small mistakes on the top treble cap are easy. Ask me how
I know?
     You didn't ask but you probably will. How do you get the plate reset on
the acoustic dowels? I thought you'd never ask. This is a Gravagne idea so I
cannot take the credit, oh well.
  I use half inch cap screws. This is a large machine type screw with an
allen head opening in the top. The top is to thick dimensionally to imitate
the thickness of the original heights of some of the very short elevations of
acoustic dowels. So the tops are machined to about . 050. Stay with me. Now
when the time comes to find the height of the new dowels that the plate will
sit on, these are inserted in the bolt holes. I drill down thru the boards
thickness only, remember up to now no bolt hole is in the new board, with a
1/2 inch forstner bit (flat bottom bit) Then I take a 7/16 forstner and drill
down another 1/4 inch. This allows the threads of the cap screw to bite into
the rim and not the board as the board will split  as the cap screw is turned
in if just a 7/16ths hole is drilled  thru the board. Get it? Then a cap
screw is located in each bolt hole location and screwed down to a reasonably
low level using a large allen wrench.
  Then the plate goes on. The nose bolts, already installed earlier, will now
be what now locates the plate height you set earlier. Install the nose bolt
nuts and accessing the top of each allen head through the plate screw it up
until you sense it touch the plate. Repeat on each one and there you have the
jigs set up to mark the dowels for there final and correct height.
    Pull the plate and drill the acoustic dowel holes. I drill a 7/16 hole. I
use the 7/16 inch hard wood dowel from pianotech which is conveniently
slightly smaller than the hole so that I can insert the dowels mark the
height, remove them, cut and reinstall. I use a mirror to see at the level of
the board so I accurately observe when the dowell height matches the top of
cap screw height. Does all this make sense or did I leave something out?
     There are a many details in belly work that you must learn to juggle  in
your head at one time so that all the inter related pieces  fit in to the re
appropriate spot at just the right time. This is just another one of those
pieces.
                    Hey When it turn out it's slick!
                               Dale Erwin